Thursday, June 25, 2009

Domesticity

Since meeting Daddy, I've become way more domestic. You know, competent around the house, doing more than opening a packet of starch and mixing with water, signing up for a CSA, etc. All of these things go hand in hand with me trying to have a healthier lifestyle in general. Daddy wants me around for a while I guess.

Part of this has been diet. I signed up for a CSA, which if you don't already know, is short for Community Supported Agriculture. Yay farmers! I spent part of my formative years living in the country with a gynormous organic garden, lots of pets, a pony, wood furnace, etc. Sadly, even with our awesome produce, my parents would cook the veggies until they were gray. It was so gross that I "hated" vegetables for the longest time. I'm still convincing myself that I don't. But part of being Daddy's is trying new things, so here I am.

My CSA is awesome. You should go sign up for one too. Mine is probably the best in the whole nation because from March until November, I get a weekly delivery consisting of a bushel box full of local and imported organic produce. It's delicious and it's like Christmas because I never know what's going to be inside.

However, after being a starchavore for many years, I had to start learning how to cook this very familiar, yet strangely foreign, food that kept showing up. I'm very "thrifty" so throwing out rotten food is just repugnant to me. Cooking it like my parents did was also repugnant. Fortunately Daddy had some ideas and recipes for me, so I've been learning to cook long distance as it were.

Good recipes are always welcome, especially to help me use up the plethora of greens I get each week. I don't hate salad, but I don't love it either. I end up freezing most of the greens to use later. Last year in the middle of the summer we had a greens shortage, I'm hoping that happens again. However, they are also pretty decent in a frozen fruit/yogurt smoothy with a dash of splenda and handful of frozen greens. You can't taste the greens honestly but it's a good way to use them up.

In addition, I started baking all my own bread about 7 months ago. It's cheaper, tastes better and I use it up before it goes bad. About 2 months ago I switched to whole wheat instead of white bread, which is amazingly delicious. So I've also been doing more baking with whole wheat flour in general. Pancakes, biscuits, muffins. Speaking of muffins I'll be making fabulous zucchini muffins probably tomorrow or Saturday.

I made some for a camping trip I had a couple weeks ago, but the local skunk ended up benefiting from most of them as someone took them out of the safety of the cooler. So I've got a big bowl full of shredded squash and zucchini in the fridge just waiting to be added to multiple batches of muffins so I can freeze them for breakfast and snacks.

This weekend I'm planning on making some tzatziki sauce, pita bread and spicy ground gyro meat. I'm psyched about it as it's a new recipe. But I have a huge amount of cucumbers this week that I need to use up, so some gyros will fit the bill.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog